God commands Moses in Deuteronomy 3:27-29 to "commission Joshua, and encourage and strengthen him, for he will lead this people across and will cause them to inherit the land that you will see." (NIV)
- Isaiah 1:16-18 tells us to "learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow." (NIV)
- Romans 12:7-9 reminds us that encouragement is one of the gifts of the Spirit - "if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." (NIV)
- 1 Thessalonians 5:10-12 tells us to "encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." (NIV)
Since we can plainly see that we are commanded
Since we can plainly see that we are commanded to encourage one another, what is the best way to do that? I think that there are many ways:
1) Call them.
2) Take them out for lunch.
3) Send them a letter or card.
4) Throw them a surprise party.
5) Send them flowers or a gift.
6) Go on a walk with them.
My challenge to you for this week is to go out and encourage one another. Be a shining light of God and go out and E-N-C-O-U-R-A-G-E!!!